This is the last edition of Friday@Five. I’ve enjoyed diving into news, policy, and research over the past two years with all of you. Thank you so much for reading. We’d love for you to sign up for some of other newsletters:
- To stay up-to-date on education news across North Carolina, subscribe to EducationNC’s Daily Digest.
- For a weekly digest of education news across North Carolina, subscribe to EducationNC’s EdWeekly.
- Interested in postsecondary education and community colleges? Subscribe to Awake58.
- For a bi-weekly email with essential news and resources for all of those who care about our youngest learners, subscribe to Early Bird.
Please stay safe over the holidays, and have a happy, healthy new year!
Need to know: COVID-19
- As of Friday, December 18, there were 466,104 confirmed cases. See cases by county here.
- The share of positive tests as a percentage of total tests is 10.5%.
- North Carolina began vaccinating health care workers this week. For more on the vaccine and the vaccination process, check out North Carolina Health News’ explainer.
We need your support
From Murphy to Manteo, across our very long state, EdNC shows up in your schools and community colleges, in your communities, in your lives, to tell the story of our students, our state, and our future.
We made a decision early on in the pandemic to keep traveling. Since March, we have safely traveled to 34 school districts and 21 community colleges to tell the stories of our students, our educators, and our leaders grappling with complex decisions with real human consequences. Yours is a story of hope and resilience.
We appreciate your financial support. We are a nonprofit news organization that relies on the generosity of funders to support our work. Our content is free for our state to use, but it comes at a price from the gas in our cars to the salaries of our team.
The work of those on the frontlines of education to support our students, your work to build a better North Carolina, didn’t stop — and neither did we. Your choice to support our work will honor the essential work of our team members during COVID-19, and it will mean the world to me. You can click here to give today, and thank you.
What We're Reading
COVID vaccines are on the way. We break down what you need to know.
... Read the rest