Need to know: COVID-19
- As of Friday, November 13, there were 305,233 confirmed cases. See cases by county here.
- The share of positive tests as a percentage of total tests is 8%.
- Gov. Cooper announced an Executive Order this week lowering the indoor mass gathering limit to 10 people through Dec. 4.
- The number of registered apprentices has more than doubled over the past four years.
- The sectors with the most apprenticeships are public safety, construction, advanced manufacturing, and health care.
- High school students are eligible for a tuition waiver at community college if they register for either a pre-apprenticeship or registered apprenticeship before they graduate high school, so parents and students see it as a way to earn money while earning college credits.
- ApprenticeshipNC moved from the Department of Commerce to the NC Community College System in 2017.
For your consideration
MDRC is publishing a series of briefs called “Ideas and Evidence 2021” that are worth checking out. The goal is to provide policymakers with “fact-based research and analysis to help them address critical issues in social policy and education.”
The briefs offer an overview of the idea, examples of high-quality programs, and recommendations for policymakers. So far, the topics covered include developmental education, equitable access to high-quality early childhood education, career and technical education, and connecting job seekers to in-demand jobs.
Need to know
EducationNC is turning 6, and we are thinking about our work and our impact in North Carolina. How are we doing? What changes or improvements would you like to see?
Let us know what you think in this short survey. Your responses will inform our work moving forward. And, if you leave your name and email in the final question, you’ll have a chance to receive one of five $10 Amazon gift cards. Thank you!
What we're reading
What’s the story we will tell ourselves about this election, North Carolina? And why relationship-based politics matter.From EdNC's CEO Mebane Rash: "Let’s issue our own call for a North Carolina united, a North Carolina strengthened, a North Carolina healed. We can do hard things."... Read the rest
The Pendulum Was Swinging Toward Reopening Schools. Then Came the Surge.
What Makes the Difference Between Getting Out of Prison and Staying Out?
University Scholars Plant Seeds In a New Field of Study: Early Childhood Policy
Voters Overwhelmingly Back Community Broadband in Chicago and Denver
Providers at this NC colon cancer hotspot seek to shrink the screening gap with at-home tests
A Possible Covid Vaccine Means It's Time to Fix Cold Chains